An Illustrated History of Old Sutton in St.Helens

Part 26 (of 77)  - The History of Industry in Sutton & Bold Part 1

a) Clay, Pottery and Brickworks in Sutton     |     b) Glassmaking in Sutton
c) Sutton Rolling Mill and Copper Works     |     d) Chemical and Alkali Works
e)
Crone & Taylor Bone Crushers     |     f) Iron Works and Engineering Firms
g) Edward Borrows & Sons Locomotive Makers     |     h) Other Sutton Works
Researched and Written by Stephen Wainwright ©MMXIV      Contact Me

a) Clay, Pottery and Brickworks in Sutton

Sutton clay provided employment for countless workers over hundreds of years, with pottery-making traced as far back as the twelfth century. The Old Teapot Brick Works, Ravenhead Brick Co., the Sutton Drain, Tile & Garden Pot Works and Roughdales, are just some of the more recent pottery and brick-making employers in the Sutton district that are now long-gone.

Roughdales Fire Clay Company in Chester Lane, sutton, St.Helens
The Roughdales Fire Clay Company works in 1890 which were located in Chester Lane, Sutton

Roughdales brickworks in Sutton, St.Helens
In the Liverpool Mercury of June 29th 1860, a house, cottage and three acres of land in Chester Lane were advertised for auction. It was claimed that the land contained "a bed of most valuable potters and firebrick clay, of great thickness." This was around about the time that Roughdales Brick and Coal Company began their operations.

In the picture above, clay was hauled up rails (bottom right), then pushed in tubs along an overhead track bridging the site. It was then prepared for the round-topped kilns which, along with their chimneys, stand at the left of the picture. In the foreground by the railway line, bricks and pipeware await collection. The branch line from the works to the main railway line near Lea Green was constructed in 1870/71 and had a length of 587 yards.

In another Liverpool Mercury advertisement of December 15th 1886, Roughdales described their business as 'Manufacturers and Exporters of BLUE VITRIFIED FACING BRICKS, brindled and hard-burnt Building Bricks, Terra Metallic Pavements (plain and chequered), Adamant Pavings for Stables, superior glazed Sanitary Pipes and Gullies, Chimney Pots of all kinds. Chemical Pipes specially prepared for withstanding acids and gases.'  The Roughdales Brass Band was renowned throughout the region and played at countless celebratory events such as walking days, as well as some funeral processions.

Early in the 20th century, Roughdales was acquired by the Sutton Heath and Lea Green Collieries Co. who also owned a brickworks in Sutton Heath. In 1920 they became a limited company and in their prospectus claimed a pre-war output of 14.7 million bricks per year. They stated that their intention was to develop their two Sutton works and output 25 million bricks per annum.


Ibstock quarry in 1990
Ibstock quarry in 1990 - note bricks on left and Sutton Manor Colliery in the distance - Contributed by Jim Lamb


Roughdales sourced their clay locally and there was one clayhole on the opposite side of Chester Lane, near where the smaller
Brickfields woodlands site now stands. A tunnel, approximately six to seven feet high, connected it with the factory and bogies (wheeled wagons) loaded with clay ran through the tunnel on metal lines, pulled along by a steel rope. During the second world war the tunnel was used as an air raid shelter, mainly by women and children from Marshalls Cross.

Ibstock Brickworks Roughdales plant
Ibstock Brickworks Roughdales plant pictured February 2007, closed December 2008 and demolished June 2011


Ibstock Brickworks continued operations on the site until the end of 2008, still using the Roughdales name for much of their ownership of the plant. Antony Gormley used Ibstock clay to make his renowned Field sculpture. This Turner Prize-winning artwork is made up of 40,000 terracotta figures and was created by Sutton Manor primary and Sutton High schoolchildren in 1993. During its last few years, the Ibstock works used methane gas from the adjacent landfills to power its ‘firing’ operations. The closure of the plant with 56 redundancies brought to a close a lengthy heritage of clay and brickworks in the district. The factory was flattened in June 2011 and the sign at the entrance is all that remains. In March 2014 a planning application was submitted to St.Helens Council to build 250 homes on the site.

Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe & Brick Co.
Advert in Homes and Gardens magazine for Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe & Brick Co.

The Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Co. was located alongside Burtonhead Road in between Ravenhead Colliery's nos. 7 and 8 pits and nos. 9, 10 and 11 pits. It had been established around 1850 by W. Edwards, David Horn and John William Kelly, trading as Lavender and Co. with premises at Ravenhead Pottery and in Liverpool. In May 1857 Edwards left the partnership and the firm became Horn and Kelly and later the Ravenhead Sanitary Brick Company.

In May 1874 the duo's partnership was dissolved and David Horn appears to have taken over the business and in 1875 it was registered as the Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Co. Ltd. Pipe manufacturing ceased around 1880 to concentrate on brick making. Their clay was sourced from opencast workings on the opposite side of Burtonhead Road, covering an area of 12 acres. In 1914 the company advertised for men to work in their clayhole offering wages of 6d. per hour "for good steady men". A dreadful tragedy occurred at the brickworks on Christmas Eve 1931 when 6-years-old
Annie Dawson of Essex Street fell into a well of boiling water. She was rescued by fitter Alfred Gleave but died two hours later in St.Helens Hospital. Gleave was badly scalded and was later rewarded by the Carnegie Hero Fund with a £15 award. In 1960 Roughdales took over the plant and closed it a few years later.

The
Old Teapot Brickworks would have won an award for the best named clay and brick works in Sutton! Located just south of Phoenix Colliery, it dated back to 1880 when it began as the St.Helens Brick and Tile Works. The plant had a number of name changes until, as the Liverpool and St.Helens Brick Co., it was purchased by Wood and Co. around the turn of the century.

During the 1920s,
J.J. Bate acquired the company and they rebranded their plant 'The Old Teapot Brickworks'. It did make teapots as part of their pottery operations as well as fireplace tiles and vases. However its main production was bricks, of which it made many different types, some of which were supplied to Liverpool Cathedral. The works had their own small scale mine, which had been worked intermittently since the 1880s, and which ceased operations in 1944. Production was greatly reduced during the 1950s at the Old Teapot Brickworks and it finally closed about 1967. Their clay pits were filled in 1974 and Pilkingtons Greengate Works took it over.
Yates Pottery Sutton, St.Helens
Other works in the early years of the twentieth century included the Sutton Oak Brick Works off Baxters Lane near Dutch Barn bridge and the Sutton Brick Works. The latter was actually in Parr, located near Gaskell Street. Pottery works included the Marshalls Cross Pottery Co. (close to where Sutton Academy is now) and the Sutton Drain, Tile & Garden Pot Works in Moss Nook. Richard Holmes Twist had a pottery works in partnership with A. Wood in Mill Lane, Sutton Heath, which on November 8th 1900 suffered a huge explosion. A boiler blew up and flew 30 yards over workers' cottages into the roadway and bricks were recovered 200 yards away. Miraculously no one was hurt. A Board of Trade inquiry was held on December 12th 1900 and Twist was found guilty of negligence and fined £30. The pottery boss was treated leniently as he explained that he had been suffering from ill health and the explosion had cost him £800. Twist and Wood dissolved their partnership in August 1903.

There used to be a street in Sutton called Swaine Street which seems to have been named after the family who founded the original
Sutton Heath Pottery early in the 19th century. In August 1872 the Swaines leased their business to Thomas and Francis Grace who had their own pottery firm in Marshalls Cross. The founder of the St.Helens Newspaper, Bernard Dromgoole, had previously worked at Grace's Pottery and had married the boss's daughter. Potter and earthenware manufacturer Isaac Grace had been made bankrupt in 1862 with debts of £2300 and sent to Walton prison, but the family seem to have overcome this setback.

The Davies family owned the second
Sutton Heath Pottery, which had originally been known as Yates & Co. It had been run by an Arthur Daly and went bust in 1878. Richard Davies was the manager at Yates and he took over the lease and renamed the company. Davies was succeeded by his son Albert, followed by his son John who died in 1955.

b) Glassmaking In Sutton

It is thought that a French Huguenot family began the first glassmaking in Sutton. The Protestant Huguenots were driven out of France from 1685 and in 1688 records reveal John Leaf Snr. paying the Eltonheads £50 for a lease of 2½ acres of Sutton's Lower Hey. The Leafs real surname was probably Lefèvre and they sourced sand, coal and fireclay from the site with only alkali having to be imported.

Casting glass at the British Cast Plate Glass Company in Ravenhead
Casting glass at the British Cast Plate Glass Company in Ravenhead - Contributed by Sutton Historic Society

On June 2nd 1772, the Leeds Intelligencer reported how some men had been "enticed from France...at the hazard of their lives" in order to pass on the "profound secret" of French glassmaking. The article described how a "great manufactory" was being established at Ravenhead and in 1773 the British Cast Plate Glass Company was incorporated by Act of Parliament. The first plate glass in this country was cast at the site which covered about 25 acres. However the company got into financial difficulties and in 1798 the British Plate Glass Company took over the business. Under the new management, the Ravenhead plant became very successful and early in the 19th century (pre-1811), it received a visit from the Duke of Wellington and the Prince of Wales (later George IV). In later years Princess Alexandra, the Queen of the Netherlands and Richard Seddon, the New Zealand Prime Minister, paid separate visits to the works.

On October 4th 1834, the Leeds Intelligencer described the production process at Ravenhead. This was centred around a room that was claimed to be the largest under one roof that had ever been built in England, bigger even than Westminster Hall. It measured 339 feet long by 155 feet wide and inside was a giant iron casting table measuring 15 feet long, 9 feet wide and 6 inches thick. Melting furnaces were ranged down the middle of the room, occupying a third of its space, with cooling ovens in two rows along the side walls.

The article described how a "vast body of melted glass" was poured from an "immense crucible" upon the perfectly level casting table and then a large copper roller was passed over it, spreading the glass out into a "sheet of uniform breadth and thickness", with its smooth surface exhibiting a variety of colours. Each of the cooling ovens measured 16 feet wide and 40 feet deep and their floors were level with the top of the casting table. This was on castors, so it could be moved to the mouth of an oven and a plate of glass slipped in, so it can be gradually cooled over a period of two weeks. The plate is then ground to a more exact level with sand and it's then polished with emery, tripoli and putty.

In 1836 a second plant was built at Sutton Oak by the
Manchester and Liverpool Plate Glass Company. However, it closed just five years later through the depression of the early 'forties. In 1845 the London and Manchester Plate Glass Company bought the plant, paying less than half the original cost of the works. Under experienced manager George Wadsworth, the Sutton Glass Works slowly became successful. The removal of the Window Tax in 1851 boosted their order book and then the astute management of William Blinkhorn extended operations. By 1855 it was the largest plate glass works in the country with 1500 men employed. Then in 1868 the plant was further expanded and the addition of the 'extension works', as it was known, led to the site covering both sides of Lancots Lane.


British Cast Plate Glass Company illustration
The British Cast Plate Glass Company's plant in Ravenhead which was then part of Sutton township


The glassmakers were a highly-skilled, mobile workforce who were very well paid. Some of the best workers were French, who could be secretive over their glass-making methods. So Suttoners committed industrial espionage to discover their techniques! Workers hid in the roof of the glassworks and observed the French experts through holes they'd cut in the ceiling. However most of the workforce were unskilled staff, with many of manual labourers. Workers could expect jobs for life and when
Henry Mather died on September 30th 1854 aged 81, he'd almost completed 70 years of employment at Ravenhead.

On August 25th 1855 the Liverpool Mercury told how 500 of the Sutton glassworkers had been treated to their annual excursion by their employers. They'd travelled by boat to Bangor "animated by a band of music" with the day spent in "rational and healthy recreation". However on the same day that some staff enjoyed an outing,
James Tickle's inquest took place. The glassworks stoker lost his life when he was crushed between the buffers of two wagons. In 1858 there was an investment in new technology at the Sutton works with glass polishing machines purchased. It was intended that their use would reduce the need for women to polish glass manually by moving it back and forth on large, smooth stones. However machines needed operators and 24-years-old Louisa Eden lost her life on February 8th 1858 when her dress was drawn between the wheels of a polishing machine by a draught of air. Louisa, who'd travelled from London to operate the machine, was immediately whirled round its main shaft. Her screams brought help but it was some time before she could be extricated from the machine and was soon dead. On May 2nd 1861 further improvements to the works led to eight workmen being seriously injured. The bricklayers and labourers were erecting three large furnaces for annealing glass when the building collapsed on them.


The casting hall of the Ravenhead glass works which when built was 113 yards long and at least 50 yards wide
The casting hall of the Ravenhead glass works which when built was 113 yards long and at least 50 yards wide


Although the British Plate Glass Company's Ravenhead plant had been highly successful, especially during the 1830s and '40s under manager
Frederick Fincham, it was now experiencing tough times and in 1868, the London and Manchester Plate Glass Company took over the lease from proprietors Sir Edward Sullivan (1826 - 1899), James Sivewright and John Crossley. The size of glass capable of being produced had increased considerably since the Ravenhead plant first began in the 1770s. Then the largest size of glass was 3 feet in length by 2 feet wide but by 1820 it was 142 inches by 6 feet. By the 1860s, sizes of plate glass up to 17 feet by 10 feet were being produced at the works.

An aerial view of the Ravenhead glassmaking plant during the 20th century when owned by Pilkingtons
An aerial view of the Ravenhead plant during the twentieth century when owned by Pilkington's Glass


The London and Manchester Plate Glass Company became the biggest producer of plate glass in the United Kingdom and the second largest in the world. It was only exceeded by the St. Gobain Plate Glass Co. in France. In March 1876 it advertised for tenders for the erection of 18 cottages in Sutton for its workers. However glassmaking was expensive and by the 1880s, with increasing competition from Belgian and French glass plants and locally from Pilkington's and the Union Plate Glass Co. in Parr, the company began to encounter financial difficulties. The price of glass in 1887 was 45% less than it had been in 1876 and then there were further drops in the early '90s.

A strike at the beginning of 1889, when workers demanded a rise of 10% in their wages, virtually closed the Sutton plant and further damaged its economic standing. Somewhat belatedly, a £200,000 investment in new equipment for both of the London and Manchester Co's plants was proposed in December 1891, which would take several years to complete. All three of St.Helens' plate glass producers had for some time been complacent against the threat of foreign competition. While local firms had relied upon the quality of their product and pre-eminent position within the glass-making world, the Belgians had been investing in new plate glass plants and improved processes.

All three companies were now furiously engaged in a race to re-equip their plants and create more efficient means of working. For example, the processes of grinding, smoothing and polishing had been carried out in different departments using separate machinery over several days. Consequently large sheets of glass up to 15 feet long had to be conveyed from room to room and onto railway wagons leading to breakages and even deaths. In October 1891 glass labourers John Twist and 19-years-old David Lunt died in hospital from the severe injuries they'd received when plate glass fell off a wagon onto them. The accident at Sutton Glass Works broke 19-years-old Lunt's spine and an iron lever penetrated right through 22-years-old Twist's body. When the improvements had been implemented, all processes would be carried out by a single machine within a single day in the same place, reducing the cost of production and improving safety.

Efficiencies meant job losses and 200 women were discharged from the Sutton and Ravenhead plants early in 1892. They also closed the work's school at Ravenhead that year as the building, where 500 pupils were being educated, was required to extend the works. Although production costs were reduced by about 30%, by June 1893 the price of glass was 40% less than it was in 1891 and things went from bad to worse. On August 15th 1894 a notice was posted at both the London and Manchester Co's plants:

  Owing to the great depression in their trade, the directors have to intimate that on and after Thursday next, the 23rd inst., all persons employed by the company will be retained from day to day only until further notice.   
This meant that the company could sack any of their 1100 staff at a moment's notice. The company was in crisis and its own chairman, Mr. Hawkins, admitted it was "without either cash or credit." An article in the Liverpool Mercury from August 23rd 1894 put the blame on the workers who had struck for more wages five years earlier, despite the financial difficulty that the company was in. This they claimed had significantly contributed to the £140,000 loss that the company had made over the previous three years.

The London and Manchester Plate Glass Company went into liquidation later in 1894 and a wave of depression affected many Sutton families. The St.Helens Newspaper commented that "destitution is developing in our midst at a rapid rate"
{15/9/1894}. The annual meeting of subscribers to the St.Helens Charity Organisation held on October 29th 1895 revealed the scale of the suffering. In the ten months prior to November 20th 1894, the society had received 363 applications for assistance of which 235 had been granted and £41 paid out. While from November 20th to December 31st 1894 with many men thrown out of work, 1303 applications for assistance were received of which 1157 were accepted and payments totalling £276 awarded. In total during the year, 534 glassworkers requested financial assistance for their families. A special relief fund had been opened by the Mayor Cllr. Henry Martin which raised £1150 in cash and £146 in kind.

In June 1896 a consortium purchased both plants for £150,000 and the London and Manchester Plate Glass Company Ltd. arose from its predecessor's ashes. The glass works eventually went back into production and the Sutton community breathed a sigh of relief. In December a special service of thanksgiving was held at All Saints church, which was said to have been crowded. However the plant's revival under manager Hudson A. Binney was short-lived. It had lost clients through the 26 months of closure and it closed for good in 1903, with Pilkington's having purchased the Ravenhead works in 1901.

The Sutton Glass Works on Lancots Lane in Sutton Oak had been an enormous enterprise. The works occupied 47 acres, which were enclosed by a ten feet high wall. However the site covered 210 acres in total, including five reservoirs that were capable of holding 18 million gallons of water. It had been connected with the railway network by four sidings and it took two years after the glass works’ closure to clear up the plant. In fact it wasn’t until September 1905 that the last men were laid off. During the previous month Pilkington's had acquired the works, which raised hopes of glass production resuming. However the St.Helens glassmaker’s only used the site for warehousing purposes.

The various glassworks sourced red sand from a huge pit at the bottom of Leach Lane, where Carole Close now stands. In a Whalley's World article in the St.Helens Star on August 18th 1983,
Edith Carter recalled its operations:
  The sand hole covered a large area and it was fascinating to see the trucks coming up the narrow rail-lines laden with red sand, while at the same time others went down empty to be re-filled.  
Edith thought this was operated by a steel-rope haulage system and said it was managed by two men named Meadows and Whittaker. She recalled Meadows falling down the sand hole and breaking a leg. The sand pit was filled in by railwaymen using ballast in the mid-1920s.

James Prescott (left) with Bob Bridge of Cannington & Shaw with their steam wagon
James Prescott (left) with Bob Bridge of Cannington Shaw with their steam wagon - Contributed by James Prescott

From around 1870 there was a major expansion in bottle-making within the Ravenhead / Sutton district of St.Helens. Francis Dixon got into the business c.1842 when he and his brother-in-law John Merson acquired the Thatto Heath Bottle Works at the age of just 22. About three years later the pair bought the Ravenhead Bottle Works on the old canal bank. This was on Grove Street on land leased from John Haddock, the owner of Ravenhead Colliery, who supplied them with coal.

Francis Dixon's great-uncle was
Jonas Nuttall, a wealthy printer and publisher, who had retired to the newly-built Nutgrove Hall in 1810 and died there in 1837. Nuttall's estate was left to his nephew Thomas Nuttall, a distinguished botanist, who had emigrated to America. Provision was made in Jonas's will that if Thomas died childless, then Francis Dixon would inherit his estate. This occurred in 1859, five years after Merson had left the partnership, and it led to Francis changing his surname to Dixon-Nuttall. This was through a condition of inheritance, as laid down by Jonas, that 'Nuttall' had to be part of the family name.

Francis Dixon-Nuttall and Nuttall's glass jar lid
a) Francis Dixon-Nuttall (1819 - 1915) Founder of Nuttall & Co; b) Nuttall's glass jar lid c) A Cannington Shaw bottle


Dixon-Nuttall seems to have sold his Ravenhead Bottle Works to Pilkingtons in 1859 and gone into retirement. He returned to the bottlemaking business under the name of Nuttall & Co. on March 2nd 1873, when the first sod was cut on his new works. This was on a site just south of Ravenhead Colliery by the side of the recently-opened St.Helens-Huyton railway. Dixon-Nuttall lived at Nutgrove Hall where he died aged 95 on February 18th 1915, the oldest man in St.Helens. By then his son
Frederick Dixon-Nuttall had long since run the business. Twice Mayor of St.Helens, Frederick had been a Liberal councillor for West Sutton during the early 1890s.

Sherdley Glass Works

By 1889 Nuttall & Co. were employing 450 people at their Ravenhead bottlemaking plant, Lyon Brothers Peasley Glass Works had 200 workers and Cannington Shaw's Sherdley Glass Works employed 870. Cannington Shaw took over the Peasley Glass Works in December 1890 as a result of Lyon Bros. going bankrupt. Just four years earlier the Lyons had become a limited company but their attempt at cutting wages by importing foreign labour led to damaging strikes and the company never recovered. Their Swedish bottle-hands even had to have a police escort when returning home from the works. On February 10th 1887, William Roberts was charged in court with assaulting Jacob Hanser and attempting to kick a Swedish woman. He'd thrown a missile at a group of Swedes as they were leaving the Peasley Glass Works accompanied by police.

By 1892 Cannington Shaw was said to have the largest works of its kind in the world with 1,188 workers and they suffered pilfering on an industrial scale. Sixteen-years-old
Ralph Jackson appeared before magistrates on November 2nd 1895 charged with stealing two bottles from Cannington Shaw. Works manager Mr. Chadwick demanded that an example be made of the boy, claiming in court that around 100 dozen gross bottles had been stolen by lads and men who'd sold them onto publicans and dealers. That's 172,800 bottles! Young Jackson received a week in prison for his two bottle contribution to the company's larceny problem. On September 22nd 1898, the bottle works had a major fire with their huge warehouse burnt to the ground and 430,000 bottles were destroyed.
Cannington Shaw Jar Lid
A Cannington Shaw jar lid which may have stored sweets or pharmaceutical supplies - Contributed by 8-years-old Alfie Atkins who found it in 2012 while treasure hunting in the River Kenwyn in Coosevean woods in Truro, Cornwall
It was dangerous to work at Cannington Shaw with few concessions for youth. William Clarke from 2 Greenough Street was only thirteen when he was severely burnt about his face and left eye. The accident happened on June 10th 1898 when molten lead fell onto the lad. The company employed large numbers of boys of which many were sourced from reformatories and workhouses. They were summoned to appear in St.Helens Police Court on at least two occasions for breaching child labour regulations. These mainly concerned the night-time labour of boys under the age of fourteen.

In 1897 new regulations forbade such employment at night which caused immense problems for Cannington Shaw. In one court case on January 12th 1900, the company claimed that they'd been forced to close one of their shops because of insufficient boys for night-time shifts. This closure they said had led to fifty men being thrown out of work. In a report in January 1902, it was stated that that the bottlemaking firm had "eighty or ninety" lads on their books.

In 1913 Cannington, Shaw & Co. merged with Nuttalls (and four other manufacturers) to form United Glass Bottle Manufacturers Ltd., although their individual brands continued. In the above photo from the early 1930s, Cannington Shaw driver
James Prescott is pictured on the left. Born in Knobstick Hall in 1892, he lived in Waterdale Crescent upon marrying and then Irwin Road. With him is believed to be Bob Bridge from Sutton.

Part of the old UGB site on the right photographed from Sherdley golf course in 1990
Part of the old UGB site photographed from Sherdley golf course in 1990 - Contributed by Jim Lamb

During the 1960s, part of the Sherdley Glass Works was redeveloped and connected to a newly-constructed Peasley Glass Works. The Sherdley plant finally closed in 1981 after over a hundred years of production and most buildings were demolished in 1982. However UGB, (as United Glass was locally known), continued until 1999. The new Saints Rugby League stadium has been built on the site although Cannington Shaw's two-storey red brick no.7 bottle shop still survives. It dates back to about 1886 and is classed as an ancient monument by English Heritage.

The Ravenhead glassworks was closed on March 16th 2001 with 374 workers made redundant. It was then discovered that there was a "black hole" in the workers' pension provision and in December 2007 the government announced a financial aid package. This was after a campaign led by MP
Dave Watts and former workers.

Glassmaking also took place at the
Sutton Lodge Glass Works in Peasley Cross, not far from where Pratt and Co. had their silver works. The latter provided services for glassmakers as well as other industries and in July 1871 they silvered what was then the largest mirror in Lancashire. The Liverpool Mercury reported that it measured 100 'superficial feet' and was accomplished using a new process by which the mirror was silvered in 40 hours instead of ten days.

c) Sutton Rolling Mill & Copper Works

The Sutton Copper Works in Sutton Oak was founded in 1832 and run by partners William Keates and Samuel Newton and later their sons, Joseph and George, respectively. It traded as the British and Foreign Copper Co., with plants in Holywell, Liverpool and Glasgow, as well as in Sutton. It smelted foreign ores, which were then arriving at Liverpool in some quantity and they employed over 100 men in Sutton. They were so successful that they claimed never to lay off men, even during slack periods.

The copper works were also known for looking after their workforce. On January 9th 1855, the Liverpool Mercury reported how 150 of the workmen and their wives had been "plentifully regaled" with a Christmas dinner of roast beef and plum pudding on the previous Saturday night. "All seemed well pleased with their entertainment", the paper commented. By 1860
John Fenwick Allen was running Sutton Copperworks and in April of that year, he became captain of no. 3 company of St. Helens rifle volunteer corps.

A problem for the works was that the copper ores contained a proportion of sulphur. When the ores were smelted, gas was generated which created a sulphuric acid vapour when it came into contact with moisture. As a consequence, there was often damage to crops and gardens and the copper works regularly found themselves in court. On December 20th 1865, Sutton farmer
George Sefton was awarded £18 18 shillings for damage to his wheat, oats, potatoes and mangold wurtzels. At the same hearing Rev. Bernard Corosi of Sutton Monastery was awarded £11 16s. and James Skirven of Sutton Glass Farm won £17 8s. On August 23rd 1869 farmer John Johnson was awarded £118 compensation from the copper works for damage to his crops.

On September 30th 1891, twelve-years-old William Dean died in hospital from the injuries that he'd received at the copper works. The young plumber's assistant fell from a fifty-feet high scaffold onto a platform below. The copper works had a chimney 183 feet high and on August 8th 1892, steeplejack Ralph Woods fell from it to his death. Read 'The Drunken Steeplejack' article here.

Sutton Copper Works closed in December 1895 and in a sale advertisement two years later, the site was described as being on triangular-shaped land measuring 2 acres and 1 rood, with a railway on two of its sides and a main road on the third. There were sidings connecting to the railway as well as 'fine chimney shafts, principals' and clerks' offices, watchman's residence, and boundary walls'.

The McTear family at their home Roughdales Farm in Chester Lane, Sutton, St.helens
The McTear family at their home, Roughdales Farm in Chester Lane - Contributed by Sutton Historic Society

A Rolling Mill factory in Watery Lane at Sutton Moss was also built by William Keates in 1860 which shaped metal for industry. It was started by a contingent from Newton Keates's Holywell factory and there was considerable rivalry between the Sutton and Welsh plants. On January 17th 1889, 50-years-old Henry Edwards was killed at the plant by the shaft of a roughing-off machine, which was making 150 revolutions per minute.

In the photograph above,
James Wilton McTear shows off his family for the camera with his wife Eliza. McTear (born c. 1837) was both the manager of the Sutton Rolling Mill factory and Roughdales. The picture was taken at his home in Chester Lane called Roughdales Farm (aka Milestone House) opposite Four Acre Lane. The farm had eight acres and the family stayed until 1894 when they moved to Micklehead Green and St.Michael's House & Farm.


Workers outside the Sutton Rolling Mill factory c.1924
Workers outside the Sutton Rolling Mill factory c.1924 - Contributed by Ian Jones


The Rolling Mill was closed in December 1895, although it reopened within a few years under the ownership of Widnes copper firm Thomas Bolton & Sons. On August 5th 1902, 29-years-old Michael Noonan was shot and fatally injured at the rear of Bolton's Rolling Mill. The company ran it for many years during the twentieth century, later making metal sheets for the printing industry. Their office block was built out of huge blocks of slag from the casting shop. It looked like rough stone and had many fissures between the large lumps.

The above photograph features the grandfather of
Ian Jones who has contributed the photograph. He worked at the Rolling Mill after returning from being a prisoner of war in WW1 and, like many in the workforce, enjoyed his pint in the Coppersmiths Arms which was opposite the plant and nicknamed 'Bobby's'. Ian writes that it was a race on Fridays for the women to get to the men before they could cross the road and spend their wages in Bobby's!

Former 1960s employee,
Dave Latham, remembers the row of workers' cottages alongside the Mill and how there used to be "a wonderful steam engine" that powered many of the factory's machines. Dave was badly burned when nitric acid that he was carrying up stairs showered over him after falling.

SD Graphics
Thomas Bolton & Sons factory front pictured in the '80s, then run by SD Graphics - Contributed by Dave Latham

The above photograph taken by Dave Latham during the 1980s, reveals the old Thomas Bolton and Sons factory front. Dave writes how it had been taken over by SD Graphics by this time and had stopped rolling copper, zinc, aluminium and magnesium and were instead coating bought in American metal.

There were also copper works in Ravenhead and Peasley Cross which date back to 1780, when the Parys Mining Company began production. During the 19th and 20th centuries, there was the
Ravenhead Old Copper Works and Bibby & Co's New Ravenhead Copper Works. Duncan McKechnie established his copper works in 1870 just north of Peasley Cross Colliery. This was taken over by the United Alkali Company who closed the works in 1927. Peasley Glass Works was erected on the site by United Glass during the 1960s.

d) Chemical & Alkali Works In Sutton

By the 1890s the towns of St.Helens and Widnes were responsible for three-quarters of all chemicals manufactured in Britain. During 1896 Pearson's Magazine ran a series of articles entitled 'The White Slaves of England' by Robert H. Sherard which focussed on the 'worst paid and most murderous trades of England'. For one edition Sherard paid backdoor visits to the alkali works of St.Helens and Widnes accompanied by artist Harold Piffard. His exposé could not have been more damning. Sherard revealed the wretched life of the workers and the shocking damage that the chemical factories inflicted on their health. Plus how the foul gases that belched from the works decimated the environment.

Illustrations by Harold Piffard of a stone nobbler and approach to an alkali factory in Sr.Helens and Widnes in 1896
Illustrations by Harold Piffard who visited chemical factories in St.Helens & Widnes in 1896

Sherard's article described the various tasks that the workers had. The 'stone nobblers' were "broken-down men, not old but aged" who broke stones from which sulphur is extracted and who mainly earned just 8 shillings a week. These were the "wasted" alkali workers who were toothless, asthmatic and half blind; the "cast-offs" who were on their final stage before the workhouse. The salt-cake men were at the sharp end of the operations. Working with hydrochloric acid gas they lost their teeth within a year. One St.Helens salt-cake man who'd done the dreadful job for 18 years, described working seven days a week for just 24 shillings pay. He had to stand for eight hour shifts in front of a fiery furnace "melting with heat", drawing, shoving and turning the salt with an iron bar that weighed 56 pounds. Another salt-cake man from St.Helens with twenty years experience, told Robert Sherard that he'd recently been sacked on the spot after he'd overslept and arriving at work late.

Illustrations by Harold Piffard who visited chemical factories in St.Helens & Widnes in 1896

The lime-men load slaked lime after turning it over and over onto lifts so it could be treated with chlorine. Their dirty and dangerous work within a cloud of white particles could only be conducted in shifts of 20 minutes, with a few minutes rest in between. When on the night shift they worked for 14 hours and always wore a thick gag in their mouths. Sherard explained that after finishing their shift, the lime-men washed their bodies with oil or tallow as washing with water would "flay them alive".

Pearson's Magazine claimed that the men who packed the bleaching powder "literally carry their lives in their hands", as they were exposed to deadly chlorine gas. The packers wore goggles and 20 thicknesses of flannel over their mouths but could still only pack for a few minutes at a time. If they were 'gassed', they would likely be dead within an hour. Like all the other alkali workers, these men were piece-work paid, with the article claiming their average wages were 50% less than they'd been 5 or 6 years earlier. During the same period, the prices of the products that their hard graft produced - namely bicarbonate of soda, salt-cake, caustic soda and bleaching powder - had each risen by between 50 and 100%.

Kurtz Alkali works, St.Helens
The Kurtz Alkali works pictured during the mid 1890s just before the tragic accident that killed eight men

The Sutton alkali and chemical plants included the Kurtz Chemicals Co. (a.k.a Sutton Alkali Works and A.G. Kurtz & Co.) at the old Sutton township's northern perimeter. This was an extensive works which by the 1890s had expanded enormously since Andrew George Kurtz inherited it from his father in 1846. The factory extended beyond Warrington New Road to Langtree Street (now Jackson Street) and it was one of the largest chemical plants in the area, producing soda and bleaching powder.


Explosion at Kurtz Alkali works, St.Helens 1899
The shed at Kurtz Alkali Works where an explosion killed eight men on May 12th 1899

Explosion at Kurtz Alkali works, St.Helens 1899
In February 1891, A.G. Kurtz & Co., plus a large number of other chemical works, were incorporated into the United Alkali Co. Ltd. A dreadful disaster occurred on the Kurtz site on May 12th 1899 when eight men were killed by a fire and explosion in the chlorate house. Huge beams were hurled nearly a mile and a yellow cloud of nitrate gas enveloped the surrounding streets. The nearby gasometer was split across its top and escaping gas was ignited, creating a column of flame hundreds of feet high. This photograph (right) shows a group of firemen damping down the demolished vitriol chambers in Warrington New Road. The alkali works closed in 1920.

The
Sutton Lodge Chemical Works was operated initially by the Sutton Lodge Chemical Co. from the mid 1870s. The alkali works was set up by Cannington and Shaw, who sold it to the United Alkali Co. in 1891. They closed it in 1896 and the site was repurchased by Cannington, Shaw & Co as a glassworks.

The
Greenbank Chemical Works operated from around 1845 until 1921, when its last owners, the United Alkali Co, closed it. Other plants in Ravenhead were Marsh's Chemical Works and Bridgewater Alkali Works. There was also a short-lived vitriol works adjacent to Ravenhead Brick Works which began in the late 1870s. Victors Ltd. operated a chemical works in Baxters Lane, commencing operations about 1915. By the 1930s all the chemical plants had left Sutton and St.Helens through competition from other nearby towns, such as Widnes and Warrington.

e) Crone & Taylor Bone Crushers

Longstanding Crone and Taylor were an interesting company on a number of counts. Founded in 1886, their letterhead contained an illustration of late Victorian Sutton with numerous smoking chimneys. They described themselves bluntly as 'Bone Crushers and Manufacturers of Blood & Bone Manures', in other words makers of fertilisers, which was how they described their business during the twentieth century.

Crone and Taylor, Sutton Oak, St.Helens
The headed stationery of Crone & Taylor, Bone Crushers and Manure Manufacturers of Lancots Lane, Sutton Oak


For some years Crone & Taylor's storeroom in Worsley Brow, Sutton Oak, served as the chapel for the undenominational Welsh, prior to them taking over the Methodist Church's chapel in Lancots Lane in 1893. To gain access to the storeroom the congregation had to pass through a hole in the surrounding wall and the chapel became known locally as "The Hole in the Wall Church".

Crone and Taylor postcard


During the 1890s the company's works extended across two acres of Sutton Oak, for which they paid £360 rent per annum. Crone & Taylor understood the benefits of marketing their wares and they regularly exhibited in agricultural shows where they awarded prizes to the best exhibits. In 1899 at the Vale of Glamorgan Cattle Show, a 'silvered tea service' was presented to
Mr. Thomas for two acres of swedes that the farmer had grown with Crone & Taylor manure.


The company had a presence at many Welsh shows, as well as some English ones and held annual exhibitions in Aberdaron. At the first in December 1894, John Davies won a silver breakfast cruet for having the 'heaviest and soundest four swedes and four turnips.' During the early years of the twentieth century, Crone & Taylor produced a number of promotional postcards and pencils.


Crone & Taylor teapot
Many silver teapots were presented by Crone & Taylor at agricultural competitions. However the above is believed to have been presented to the winner of a Cumberland Wrestling Competition at Keswick Sports - contributed by David Tait

French mantel clock with Crone & Taylor inscription
This French mantel clock has an inscribed plaque on its front and was probably presented by Crone & Taylor
to the winner of a best in show competition at an agricultural show - photos contributed by Michael Robinson


After WW2, the company abandoned fertilisers for mechanical handling equipment, such as roller conveyors. This change of product seems to have arisen through their use of such conveyors when handling and despatching fertiliser sacks. Their machine shop was at the bridge end of Ellamsbridge Road and was elevated about two metres above the ground, due to the periodic flooding from Sutton Brook. During the 1960s, Crone & Taylor were employing 100 people with a record order book and in 1971 were acquired by
Wm. Brandt & Sons. The plant closed in 1983.


Crone & Taylor conveyors
Crone & Taylor conveyors - note old Sutton Road police station on left - Contributed by Sutton Historic Society


Prior to Crone & Taylor beginning their operations,
Newton Keates & Co. had a bone manure plant on the same Worsley Brow site. A fire of bones eight to nine feet high took place on March 20th 1881, which caused considerable alarm in Sutton. There was also the Bold Manure Works owned by Kearne, Richards & Co. and managed by Alfred Rawlinson. This was a partnership between Roger Charnock Richards, John Hannah Kearne and James Richards. The company was prosecuted in March 1884 for carrying on an:

  ...offensive business, to wit, the boiling of bones and converting them into manure, without the consent of the said authority, and with causing a nuisance injurious to the health of the inhabitants. 
It was claimed that people were vomiting in the roads and within their own houses because of the terrible smell. A protest meeting had been held in St.Anne's schoolroom on February 1st attended by local councillors as well as William Tipping of Bold Hall. The business had been previously owned by the Lancashire Agricultural Chemical Company who went into liquidation in 1882. The site comprised almost sixteen acres with 1000 yards of sidings, sixteen workmen's cottages and had a chimney seventy-five yards high.

Kearne and Richards had a plant in Dublin as well as at St. Helens Junction and had previously run one near Sandbach. The partnership was dissolved in September 1886 with John Kearne initially running the business as sole proprietor. Alfred Rawlinson - who'd endured the tragedy of his wife killing their son and then herself - became a partner and the company changed its name to Kearne & Rawlinson before closing in December 1889. Soon afterwards John Kearne was found dead in bed at the White Hart Hotel in St.Helens. He was discovered fully clothed and had chosen to stay at the hotel rather than return home to
St.Michael's House in Micklehead Green after visiting Liverpool. Chemical labourer John Doolin, of Heslby Street in Sutton, died from gas inhalation on May 13th 1891 after emptying a nitric acid chamber in preparation for the Bold Manure Works's demolition.

f) Iron Works & Engineering Firms in Sutton

WM Neill Workers 1910
William Neill's were industrial, chemical and structural engineers who were based at their Bold Iron Works in Neills Road. The works first began in 1859 and initially specialised in making machinery for soap manufacturers and alkali firms.

They also appeared to have manufactured soap themselves around this time. Founder William Neill died in 1874 and his son, who inherited the business, soon got it into serious debt. The works were advertised for auction in November 1879 but were saved after the intervention of chemical industrialist David Gamble, who later donated the Gamble Institute to the people of St.Helens. The sale adverts described a substantial mechanics' shop (measuring 160 x 42 feet and 17½ feet high), engine house, office, storeroom, erecting shop, smithy, stable, pattern shop, timekeeper's office plus a manager's residence.

Neill's became a limited company in 1933 and with the extra finance modernised its plant and widened its activities. In an 1937 Times shares advertisement, the company described its activities as an engineering firm that specialised in the manufacture and erection of tanks and other plant for heavy chemical manufacturers. They were also coke oven contractors, gas engineers, soap, creosote, oil and asphalt manufacturers and providers of oil storage installations. Neill's also did "chemical sheet lead and homogenous lead lining work and the design and manufacture of structural steel frame buildings".

The Bold Iron Works of engineering manufacturers Wm. Neil & Son, St.Helens Junction
Engineering manufacturers Wm. Neill & Son were at St.Helens Junction for over 100 years, founded in 1859

At the company's ninth AGM in October 1946, it was revealed that Wm. Neill's were experiencing considerable difficulties in recruiting skilled labour. Part of the problem was that some of their new fabrication methods involved welding, as opposed to using rivets to make a joint and there was a shortage of trained welders. Also the somewhat remote location of Neill's factory did not help recruitment. Although it claimed to be at St. Helens Junction, in reality it was out in the sticks closer to Bold. Neill's was, at times, a very noisy factory and could be heard over much of Sutton and so was located away from housing estates. In an era when few workers had cars, getting to work was an issue.

The iron works' efforts in developing their own workforce was hampered by apprentices undertaking national service. However with many orders for post-war reconstruction, the company in 1946 was enjoying a sellers' market with much export work. Neill's also reported to their shareholders that they were making more constructional steelwork for industrial buildings than ever.

Letterhead from 1967 for Neill Varec
Letterhead from 1967 for Neills Varec, created by the merger of W.M. Neill with Varec - contributed by Harry Hickson
The company celebrated its centenary in 1959 and shortly afterwards merged in part with the American Varec Organisation to become Neill Varec Ltd. This served as a separate division of Neills and was housed in a relatively new building on the other side of the administration building, closer to Gorsey Lane. Their products were of much lighter engineering than those of the parent company, such as aluminium recovery systems used in the petroleum industry.

Neill's became a founding member of the Capper Neill group which took over the Sutton operations in 1975.
J. Laithwaite was the longstanding Managing Director of Neills itself with Suttoner Len Marsh serving as Director of Mechanical Engineering. Warrington-based W.H. Capper (UK) Ltd still exists but the works at Neills Road, Sutton closed around 1984. The company owned many houses which were rented out to employees. These were in Porlock Avenue, Ilfracombe Avenue, Olga Road, Clovelly Avenue and the Leach end of Reginald Road. There were also some near Sherdley Park and in Rainhill.

The St.Helens Junction district hosted a number of engineering companies over the years. On July 21st, 1870, the Glasgow Herald reported how a "party of gentlemen from London, Manchester, and other places" had assembled at the premises of the Lancashire Engineering and Compression Casting Company at the Junction. This was to witness a demonstration of a new process of casting metals. Allen Barton's were also based at St.Helens Junction and made colliery winders and what they described as 'ships' deck auxiliaries'. In a 1956 recruitment ad in The Times, they described themselves as "rapidly expanding".

Kenyon Ironworks
An advertisement for Kenyon Ironworks of Sutton Oak from a 1920 magazine

Kenyon Ironworks of Sutton Oak made steelwork for factories, theatres, bridges and even early aviation hangars. They were located at the rear of Webb Street, on the opposite side of Baxters Lane to the engine sheds. As well as a main office and works in Sutton Oak, the company also had a London office in the Strand.

They were incorporated as a limited company in 1910 but were dissolved on November 20th, 1925. H. W. Johnson & Co. moved to the site in 1926 or 1927 but they went out of business in 1928. Johnson's had taken over the locomotive manufacturing and maintenance sides of the business of E. Borrows & Sons when it closed in 1912. Which brings us neatly to the Providence Foundry in St.Helens Junction.

g) Edward Borrows & Sons Locomotive Makers

Edward Borrows & Sons built many locomotives between 1864 and 1912 at their Providence Foundry in Sutton. The locos that they made were compact and robust and were mainly employed at the various collieries and chemical and glass works in and around St.Helens.

Proprietor Edward Borrows was born near Collins Green in 1822. He received virtually no schooling and at an early age was apprenticed to
Melling's engineering works in Liverpool, which shortly afterwards relocated to Rainhill. Although lacking an education, Borrows soon developed remarkable practical skills and became renowned for his inventions and the practical perfecting of other people's ideas. While working for Melling's, Borrows made the first steam whistle for locomotives. He also later invented the steam crane and perfected a steam injector for railway engines, plus a loose axle box that enabled locomotives to pass more smoothly and safely over sharp curves.

Agnes at Edward Borrows Providence Foundry at St.Helens Junction
'Agnes' pictured at Edward Borrows & Sons Providence Foundry at St.Helens Junction in 1883


In 1846 he began working for
John Smith and Robert Daglish as foreman in their locomotive department. Their company worked under contract for the St.Helens Canal and Railway Company, who later took over the business and appointed Smith as their managing director. Edward Borrows was given responsibility for managing Sutton Sheds near St.Helens Junction where locomotives were made, housed and maintained. In 1850 he was appointed chief superintendent of the locomotive department and in 1863 they made the White Raven engine, a well-remembered 2-4-2 tank passenger locomotive. Borrows continued in his role until 1864, when the St.Helens Canal and Railway Company was taken over by the London and North-Western Railway Co. Although offered a position as district locomotive superintendent, Borrows chose instead to leave and join a new company.


Edward Borrows Providence Foundry letterhead
The letterhead of Edward Borrows & Sons Providence Foundry - Contributed by Dave Woods


This had been formed by engineer
James Cross who was soon joined by Arthur Sinclair, the former secretary and superintendent of the St.Helens Railway Company. James Cross & Co. leased workshops and for six years manufactured locomotives, mainly for foreign markets. Borrows became its manager although he quit after just two months through a dispute over patent rights. In his spare moments Borrows had created a diaphragm pump but the company felt that they had the right to patent it and enjoy the royalties as he was their employee. Having felt cheated by the St.Helens Railway Company over his work on the steam injector, Borrows felt otherwise.

So with little money and seven children to feed, he took the huge gamble to go alone. Borrows built a small foundry in the garden of his house in Peckers Hill (the road suffix came later) in early 1865. He had little but his reputation but Edward Borrows also had his faith. A devout Roman Catholic, he named his modest foundry Providence Works, as Borrows placed his trust in Providence. His business gradually grew and the works were extended until the garden was full and so part of an adjoining field was used.

Edward Borrows workforce at Sutton Junction
Edward Borrows' workforce at their Providence Foundry loco works in Sutton Junction c. 1878

Edward Borrows memorial, St.Anne's, Sutton, St.Helens
The extensions proved inadequate and so on February 21st 1878, Borrows took possession of new works in Station Road. This was conveniently close to the St. Helens railway and was large enough to accommodate his own railway sidings.

Despite a lack of any education, Borrows was renowned for his skills as a draughtsman and his mechanical drawings were said to be a marvel. However on June 29th 1881, Edward Borrows died at the age of 58 and the business was continued by his son William (who carried on the business until his death in 1900 at the age of 50), along with his four brothers. Research by Harry Hickson has revealed that one of Edward’s sons, Augustin Borrows, was in the 1891 census residing at 14 Grimshaw Street in Sutton Leach. Interestingly the 34-year-old steam engine maker was living with his wife and two girls in the same house that would later be the home of football pool winner John Coffey (view Memories 9 article).

In the staff photograph above, the management wear bowler hats, ties and velvet-collared jackets. The workers by contrast wear caps, mufflers, waistcoasts and clogs. Note the apprentices on the front row, who are little more than children. The Borrows were considerable benefactors to St. Anne's church and have an imposing monument in the church graveyard.

As mentioned earlier, H. W. Johnson & Co. took over from Borrows when they closed in 1912, two years after the death of Augustin Borrows, who was by then living in Peckers Hill House. Between them the two companies manufactured about 50 locomotives, the lion's share by Borrows. A company called Associated Engineering Industries were based at Providence Foundry from about 1926 until 1933 when they went into liquidation.

Windle at Edward Borrows Providence Foundry at St.Helens Junction
The locomotive 'Windle' made by Edward Borrows & Sons Providence Foundry at St.Helens Junction

h) Other Sutton Works

William Bickford inventor of safety fuse
At St.Helens Junction was the powder works of Bickford, Smith and Co. Ltd (later Toy, Bickford & Co.) and the girls who worked there were known as "powder monkeys". William Bickford had invented the safety fuse for igniting gunpowder in 1831, which was an important innovation that saved countless mineworkers' lives.

The company was based in Cornwall but in 1873 Bickford, Smith and Co purchased the factory and business of
Charles Davey & Co. at St.Helens Junction who made safety lamps for the mines. Bickfords' powder works supplied the needs of collieries throughout the north of England and Scotland for some forty years. In 1911 a Mr. Smith of the family firm became manager of Parr's bank in St.Helens. Dr. Henry Baker Bates, the Sherdley Estate Agent, offered him the tenancy of the newly-vacant Sutton Grange by Sherdley Park but he turned it down.

According to the company's own centenary book published in 1931, the Sutton arm closed down "soon after the War". Bickford, Smith and Co were the biggest British manufacturer of safety fuses and were taken over by Nobel Industries in 1921, closing in 1962.

The Sutton Glass Works site, discussed above, became the location for Sutton Bond 1201 munitions manufactory and barracks (1914 - c. 1919), Nuera Artificial Silk Co. (1925-1930) and cellophane manufacturer British Sidac (1934-1982). In recent times part of the original glassworks site in Lancots Lane has been used by Todd Bros. (scrap-metal - late 1940s / early ’50s), Leathers Chemicals, Pakcel, Hays Chemicals and then Albion, which closed in 2002.

Nuera was briefly a thriving public concern with capital of £630,000, although it never paid its shareholders a dividend. In 1927 it was reported that the silk works were involved in "experimental work of an important character". They were associated with major silk film Courtaulds and shocked their shareholders when they went into voluntary liquidation in July 1930.

The British Sidac plant was a major employer in Sutton, which expanded from 22 acres in 1933 to 40 acres and 1,600 workers in 1973. Hays was a controversial sulphuric acid plant. In 1986, 4000 people signed a petition demanding its closure because of leaks and fallout of oleum, ie. fuming sulphuric acid. Their 1987 planning application to construct a new sulphur processing unit was rejected by St.Helens Council after a campaign by residents. In 1988 the Hays management bought the company from the Kuwait Investment Office. At the time this was the second largest management buyout in the country.

On May 19th 1989,
Councillor Eric Hutchinson collapsed in Baxters Lane after walking into fumes that had emanated from the Hays plant. He recovered after being taken to hospital. On July 1st 1989, there was another bad leak at Hays which was caused by a rupture in an oleum tank. For this the company was prosecuted and fined £3000. To calm fears in the district, Hays held open days and resident meetings plus mock emergencies, that were codenamed 'Cloudburst', took place.

Sutton township also had a number of watchmakers, the craft spreading from Liverpool from about 1670 and was especially popular in nearby Prescot.
James Lockey made and repaired coaches in Peasley Cross. In one advertisement in the Manchester Courier in 1869 he advertised a vacancy for a ‘Coach Body Maker; to be sober, industrious, and a good workman.’ Walter Broughton operated out of Sutton Road as a wheelwright and coach builder from 1893 until he was made bankrupt in September 1899.
British Sidac advertisement from 1977, Roughdales advertisement c.1972 and United Glass advertisement from 1977
British Sidac advertisement from 1977, Roughdales advert c.1972 and United Glass advertisement from 1977
Also see other pages on Sutton industries: Mining in Sutton; Sutton Manor Colliery Pt1; Memories of Sutton Manor by Stan Johnson; Clock Face Colliery; Bold Colliery; The Poison Gas Works; Sutton Trivia & True Facts! article 'Royal & Noble Visits to Ravenhead'.
Copyright Notice / Factual Accuracy Statement
Stephen Wainwright
This website has been written and researched and many of the images photographed by myself, Stephen Wainwright, the Sutton Beauty & Heritage site owner. Many individuals from all over the world have also contributed their own photographs. If you wish to reuse any image, please contact me first as permission may be needed from the copyright owner. High resolution versions of many photographs displayed in this website can be supplied at no charge.

Please do contact me if you can provide any further information and / or photographs concerning Sutton, St.Helens. You might also consider contributing your recollections of old Sutton for the
Memories pages, which are proving very popular. Sutton Beauty & Heritage strives for factual accuracy at all times. Please do also get in touch if you believe that there are any errors. I respond quickly to emails and if you haven't received a response within 12 hours, check your junk mail folder or send your message again. Thank you!  SRW